This is my second year participating in NaNo. Last year, when I awoke at 5 a.m. on November 2nd to commence my second day of writing, this is what I found:
Needless to say, a flooded house tends to put a crimp in the writing process, and NaNo 2010 ended up being quite a bumpy ride for me, as a result. If you want to have a laugh, go take a gander as I tell the tale of the whole sordid adventure.
One of the downsides of all the real-life drama in the midst of trying to bang out 50k+ words is that my blog presence really suffered. I didn’t put up a single post between the 5th and the 26th last year, a mistake I was anxious to avoid again.
But obviously, if I’m contributing every last word to my manuscript, how will I find subject material for blog posts, and will I have the energy to even think about it after a long day of fiction writing?
So I was toying with this dilemma the other night. At the same time, I was also concocting a set of music playlists on my laptop to have at the ready for NaNo (music is a huge part of my writing process). Then it hit me: Why not post video/music during here at ~WSMG~ during NaNo? I can share songs from my playlists with you groovy folks, and maybe you guys will want to join in the fun too!
And like a bolt of lightning from the blue, the NaNoWriMoVideo Songfest was born! 😀
Each day in November, I’m gonna put on my NaNo Video DJ hat and post one of my favorite videos here at ~WSMG~. The songs will be chosen from my collection of writing music to help inspire you guys, help us stay sane during the craziness that is NaNo, and totally rock out! Sound groovy? But it gets better: I’d love nothing better if you joined me.
If you’re interested in being a part of the Songfest, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to YouTube (or the video site of your choice), pick one of your favorite videos, then put together a post featuring the video. To participate, post AT LEAST ONE video sometime during the month of November. If you want to post more, knock yourself out! (Here’s a tutorial on how to embed a video, if needed). If you put up three or more posts during NaNo, I’ll list you as a DJ!
- Comment (*details below) or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line ‘VIDEO’ with the details of your post, including your link information. LATE EDIT: Of course, you can send me a Tweet too (@skymeetsground)!
- Alternatively, like a real life DJ, I take requests! Tell me a video you love and I’ll share it here on ~WSMG~ myself, giving you full credit, of course.
- Each day, I’ll announce new videos, highlight the high points, and add them to the Master Playlist.
- DISCLAIMER: You do not have to be a NaNo participant to contribute! Just follow the directions above and you can support your fellow writers! 😀
Below you’ll see a second post entitled NaNoWriMoVideo Master Playlist (or click this link). The Master Playlist is where I’ll link participating blogs and add videos throughout the month, listing the artist name and song title, with a link to the person/blog who sponsored the tune(s). *Leave me a comment on this post or on the Master Playlist post if you want to be a part of this effort! (You know you wanna!) 😀
The Goal of the NaNoWriMoVideo Songfest:
- Have a total blast!
- Share some awesome NaNo writing music, and get a chance to hear the tunes everyone else finds groovy.
- Give everyone one stop shopping for a right rockin’ video playlist throughout the month. With any luck, the combined energy of all that awesome music will help us get across that 50k word finish line just a little bit faster! Who knows, maybe that really moving snippet of music posted by a fellow writer helps you nail a difficult scene or understand a character better.
- Even if you’re not doing NaNo this year, why not throw one of your favorite videos into the mix to support your fellow writers and let everyone else benefit from your good taste!
Help Get The Word Out:
I’m tapping my foot just thinking about how fun this Songfest is gonna be. Thanks, and stay groovy!
Stay tuned later this week as there’s more pre-NaNo excitement in store. Carrie Butler, Melodie Wright, and Lisa Regan are sponsoring the Casting Call Character BlogHop. I’m playing. It’s sure to be a blast! Check my sidebar for details! I’ll also have some fun with loglines–especially the one I’ve been writing for my NaNo novel.
Also check back on Wednesday for the final #REN3 Blogfest post. Have a rockin’ Monday, ya’all!
ONE LAST THING: You DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, talk about WRiTE Club!!!!!